Mr. Klimp was born in The Netherlands and emigrated to Portland Oregon in 1957. He finished his first year of college at Portland State University and completed his undergraduate education with a BS in Electrical Engineering from Long Beach State University in 1968. He earned an MBA from University of Santa Clara 1974.
Mr. Klimp began his real estate investment career in 1971 by purchasing, along with his wife Nancy, a 5-plex apartment in Redwood City California. In the process of improving the property, operating it successfully and selling it for a profit, Mr. Klimp established the business model for all properties he has subsequently acquired and operated.
In 1973 he created the beginnings of the Mayfield Companies structure and formed Mayfield’s first limited partnership. Its success attracted other investors. The Mayfield Companies’ present investment network exceeds 300 investors. Through the vehicle of Mayfield Companies, Mr. Klimp has acquired, renovated, managed and sold multi-family and office properties with a total value in excess of $290 million.
Mr. Klimp personally invests substantially in every Mayfield syndication.
Mr. Klimp has been consistently active in community affairs and in professional organizations related to the business of commercial real estate. These activities have included:
- Past Trustee of the Tri-Pac and Tri-Issues PAC, Tri-County’s political action committee.
- Past President of Tri-County Multi Housing Corporation.
- Licensed Real Estate Broker in California since 1975.
- Licensed General Contractor in Oregon since 1987.
- Specialist in multi-family residential and commercial real estate since 1970.
- Specialist in private syndications since 1973.
- Consultant to retirement and pension funds.
- Participant in public forums representing the housing industry.
- Past President and Director of the Tri-County Apartment Association.
Mr. Klimp and his wife Nancy have been residents of Bainbridge Island, Washington since 2015. Both of them are deeply involved with their family and continue to be active in professional and local community affairs.